Monday, February 16, 2015

Red Velvet Oreo Truffles

A few weeks ago, in  a post, I mentioned how I bought these:  Red Velvet Oreos.
When I first heard that Nabisco was making Red Velvet Oreos, my very first thought was "Red Velvet Oreo Truffles?!"

Have you ever eaten Oreo Truffles?  The recipe is all over the internet and can be found on Kraft's website.

Let me tell you...The first time I had Oreo truffles I thought I had eaten a tiny, bit of heaven.  A neighbor had made them and given some to my mom.  My mom was raving about them and was generous enough to share.  I've made Oreo truffles many times.  They take almost no time, but are incredibly delicious!

I have even made brownies and topped them with Oreo truffle and then topped that with melted chocolate.  That's a recipe I should bake again!

Anyway, I tracked down some Red Velvet Oreos the day they were released- February 2.  Who knew that cookies had a release date?  I bought two packages and was waiting until Valentine's to pull open the seal and try these Oreos.

The cookie by itself was good, but definitely not my favorite kind of Oreo (am I right, Sarah?)  That could start me on an embarrassing tangent about , but I won't go there...
Oreos

What You Need:
-2 packages of Red Velvet Oreos (for truffles you need 36 and these only come in small packages)
-8 oz. of cream cheese (I always opt for the 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese- that way they're "healthy")
-melting chocolate of choice, I use Candy Melts
-Sprinkles or additional crushed Oreos for decoration

In a food processor, crush 36 Oreos.  Transfer Oreo crumbs to stand mixer bowl.  Stir in softened cream cheese.

Then mold the mixture into small balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Freeze the truffles for about 15 minutes.  This step makes the dipping easier.

Then dip in your favorite melting chocolate.  For this, I used white chocolate.  Candy Melts also has a Red Velvet flavor which I was tempted to try, but I didn't want the truffles to be too overpowering in their red velvet flavoring.

After making many cake pops, I must say that dipping these truffles without being on a stick was a pain!  When you make cake pops, you can tap off the extra chocolate and end up with a smoother coating. Before the chocolate hardens, top with your choice of sprinkles.  Keep in the fridge and enjoy!

I have to confess that I have only eaten one. One. Yes,  you read that correctly. I am recovering from the flu and haven't gotten my appetite yet.  Everyone who I've shared them with loves them though!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I mean I guess we should have known that these couldn't match up to our peanut butter amazingness. But these look great! (Omg do you remember when we tried to put peanut butter on the mint Oreos?!? What were we thinking....)

    ReplyDelete