Sunday, April 20, 2014

Red Velvet Strawberry "Short"cake

I recently saw a pin for Red Velvet Strawberry Shortcake, which looked divine! My MIL asked me to make dessert for Easter so I had this cake in mind.  The original blog used boxed cake mixes for bother the red velvet and the white cakes, along with store bought whipped cream.

Here's what I did:

I used my favorite red velvet recipe from Tide and Thyme.  I used this recipe to make two 8" round cakes.
Then I used my favorite yellow cake from King Author, Golden Vanilla Cake. The recipe says to divide batter for three 8" round pans, but I only have two.  I decided I would just go for it!

I let the red velvet layer cool for ten minutes before taking them out of the pan and then starting over with the white cake. For each cake, I greased the pan.  Next, I layed parchment paper down and then greased that. Ten minutes cooling usually seems to be the right amount of time for me.

I let all four cakes completely cool while I was at church.  Then I came back and went to work slicing strawberries and making homemade whipped cream.


My Whipped Cream Recipe:
3 1/2 C. Heavy Cream
4 1/2 Tbl. Sugar
3 tsp. pure vanilla extract

I whipped the cream using my stand mixer on high for several minutes, then added in the sugar and vanilla.  It was quite tasty- if I do say so myself!

I layered the cake and placed whipped cream and strawberries in between each layer. I put "Short"cake in quotes because as you can see...it wasn't very short!

I did have some issues transporting the cake. Next time, I think I would halve each cake recipe so the cake would be more reasonable in size.  I would also put more whipped cream inside of each layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment