Sunday, February 22, 2015

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Scones

There is no better treat than homemade breakfast during the week!  On Friday, our schools had a two hour delay so I was able to whip something up for breakfast. I usually make pancakes (from scratch) because that's what my mom always did.  I decided not to because I made pancakes last week and caught the stomach bug.  Let's say I wasn't ready for pancakes again.

On that note...

As I stayed snuggled up in my bed and on Pinterest, each recipe I thought sounded great, I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand.  Then I remembered seeing a pin for Chocolate Chip Scones that looked good.  For whatever reason, I hadn't pinned it.  I found the recipe for Chocolate Chip Scones from Sally's Baking Addiction.  Luckily, I had everything I needed (basically).



Ingredients:
-8 Tbl. of unsalted butter (cut into chunks)
-2 C. flour
-2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 C. heavy cream
-1 egg
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips

I used the same measurements that were posted on Sally's Baking Addiction.  My only ingredient change was that I didn't use the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. The scones were great with regular chocolate morsels.


The process I used to make the scones differed slightly.
Here's what I did:
First, cut the cold butter into chunks.  Place it in the bowl of the stand mixer.  Stir in the flour.  Allow the flour and butter to mix until the butter is broken into small, pea-sized pieces.  Then add the remaining dry ingredients.






In a separate dish, gently whisk the heavy cream, eggs, and vanilla.








Next, pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.  Last, add the chocolate chips and stir until the chips are nicely distributed.




Once your dough is set, I divided it into two mounds of dough.  I rolled out each mound of dough to about a 1/2 inch thick disc.  Then I divided each disc into eight slices and placed on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.  This resulted in 16 scones.  I baked the scones at 400 for 17 minutes.

I was a fan of these scones! I decided to call them Cinnamon Chocolate Chip scones because the cinnamon flavor isn't subtle.  This process for using the mixer is the same way I make all of my scones now.  This method has worked out well for me and was the one I shared back here with Lemon Cream Scones.


As always, happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment