Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Top Ten #6 and #7: Apple Goodness

Last week, I was scrolling through my "Recipes I've Tried" board searching for the Orange Peel Shrimp recipe.  As I was searching, I was trying to find some of our other favorites that I hadn't made in awhile.  I came across two of my FAVORITE apple dishes:  Apple Egg Rolls and Apple Cake.  Looking at my pins, the first time I made both dishes was more than two years ago.

The apple egg rolls are a quick and easy dessert that originally came from thriftyfun.com.  The first time I made this recipe, I followed it exactly.  Since then, I have cut waaaaaay back on the sugar and I do not even bother with the whipped cream. The whipped cream was tasty, but the egg rolls are so full of flavor, you really don't need any additional flavor, especially sweetness.  Aother main difference I found is, I believe the original post used wonton wrappers. I continue to use egg roll wrappers.  As a result, I make 6 apple egg rolls each time.  My last change, is that I do not do the egg wash to wrap the egg rolls.  Just like in my crab rangoon, I seal the wontons shut with water.  

Apple Egg Rolls
Ingredients:
- 2 Macintosh apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
-juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp. of sugar
-4 Tbsp. of flour
-2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/4 tsp. allspice
-1/8 tsp. salt
-6 egg roll wrappers

Optional
-cinnamon sugar
-butter


Once your apples are peeled and chopped, squeeze the lemon juice over the apples.  Mix well.  In a separate bowl, combin the remaining ingredients.  Then mix the flour, sugar, and spices in with the apples.  




Next, place about 1/6 of the apple mixture onto each wrapper.  Fold and seal with water.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, you may coat with butter and sprinkle on cinnamon sugar.  Finally, bake for 5 more minutes and enjoy!







Another apple (and all time) favorite recipe comes from Paula Deen for Uncle Bob's Fresh Apple Cake.  This recipe is honestly, the best apple cake I have ever made.  I follow the recipe exactly from Paula Deen.  

The batter is nice and thick so I always use my mixer.









Be sure the apples get nicely coated from the spices.









Be sure the apples get evenly distributed in the batter and that your bundt pan is nicely greased and floured. My cake always plops right out!






After the cake cools for an hour, you can mix up and pour on the glaze.








I didn't go through this recipe because I do follow it exactly from Paula Deen.  This recipe is so wonderful.  Be sure to check out both of these recipes, that apple egg rolls are quick to whip up!

Enjoy and happy baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment