Monday, September 29, 2014

Top Ten Post #3: Oven-Baked Chicken Fajitas

Where did September go?!  I had been posting regularly and then school started...

As I have been looking back over my "Recipes I've Tried" board, I really am struggling to pick my top ten!  I easily could do a top ten desserts post...maybe I'll do that once I work my way through my top 10 overall.  So basically I've been deciding my top ten recipes by thinking which recipes are regulars.  I always feel like we eat the same things, which we don't- at all.  If we eat the same thing twice in a month, that's super rare.  I get bored eating the same thing again and again.  Another big hit in our house is Oven Baked Fajitas from Real Mom Kitchen.

I first made this recipe a few years ago and we still love it as much to this day!

We follow the recipe from Real Mom Kitchen precisely, but we put in less chicken and add more veggies.


Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbl. vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp. of each chili powder and cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced*
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion*
We combine the first 6 ingredients in a small bowl.  Next, spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and toss in the peppers, onions, and chicken (all thinly sliced).  Then we pour the sauce into the pan and stir to combine.  Bake the fajitas at 350 for 25 minutes.  Right before the fajitas get pulled out, heat up some tortillas in the microwave.  We always have plenty for lunch the next day.


We love this recipe because it is so quick, easy, and full of flavor.  Sometimes we make the fajitas without the tomatoes  and there is still nice flavor.  I love the flavor the tomatoes add, but it does make the fajitas a bit more runny.

I do add a whole red bell pepper because I love them.  Real Mom Kitchen uses the tomatoes with chillies, but I prefer the green pepper and onion.  I've tried other baked fajitas and I've tried Crock-Pot fajitas, but this recipe is by far the best!  Try it tonight- I promise you add it to your dinner cycle.

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, Sarah! The are so quick and full of flavor!!

      Delete