Thursday, April 17, 2014

Homemade Peanut Butter Eggs

I am a HUGE Reese's fan.  That being said, I tend to not like homemade peanut butter eggs.  So why did I decide to make some, you ask? Well, it was due to a major oops the other weekend when I was baking cupcakes to enter into a cupcake contest...leave it to me to mess up my own frosting!

I was finishing a crazy busy weekend that included finishing our bathroom, running a 5k, taking a cake pop class, visiting my sister in VA, among many other things.  I was EXHAUSTED, but I needed to get this baking done.  I had set out two sticks of butter for my frosting.  Then when I went ot make it, I thought that I was silly for setting out two sticks of butter when I only needed one cup- remember, I was EXHAUSTED. So I am whipping my frosting and it was so thick. I added a little more heavy cream and then concluded it was just too cold.  I filled my icing bag and attempted to pipe it. It was never going to happen.  I decided I would start all over.

It was at that moment that I realized I was an idiot and I had pulled out two sticks of butter earlier because I needed one cup of butter, not one stick.

So, I redid my frosting and they turned out great!

I froze my failed frosting because it was DELICIOUS and didn't want to waste it.  I've been nibbling on it all week.  Today I let it defrost.

When the filling was still cold, I molded it into egg shapes. Then I refridgerated the filling so it would be firm when I dipped the eggs.


I melted chocolate in my mini croc-pot. I dipped the eggs and pulled them out with my fondue sticks.
The eggs that got a little messed up, I sprinkled some spring timey sprinkles on top.  Halfway through, the eggs were a little soft, so I put the eggs back in the fridge for a few minutes before I finished dipping them.
Here are my finished eggs:

My Salted Peanut Butter Filling (created by default):
Salted Peanut Butter Frosting:
Ingredients: 4 C. powdered sugar, 1/2 C. softened, salted butter, 1 C. creamy peanut butter, 5 Tbl. heavy cream
1. Beat the softened butter in the mixer, until it becomes almost whipped. 
2. Add 1 C. of the sugar at a time, until well blended.
3. Add in the peanut butter and beat on high for about 5minutes.
4. Beat in the heavy cream.
5. Refridgerate the filling for about 30 minutes, until well-chilled.
6. Form the filling into egg shaped.
7. Refridgerate for about 15 more minutes.
8. While it is chilling, melt milk (or dark) chocolate.
9. Dip one egg at a time.
10. Decorate with sprinkles or other.
11. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment