Sunday, January 25, 2015

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies: The Next Attempt at my Go-to Recipe

Without realizing it, my third recipe selection for my new, go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe also comes from AverieCooks.  This is the same blog where my previous recipe came from.

This week I made "The Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies" from AverieCooks.  On the blog, Averie shared that this recipe was based off of her Oatmeal Scotchies recipe.  As I looked the recipe over, I thought it looked very similar to my Oatmeal Raisin cookies so I made some adjustments to the original recipe.

Awhile ago, before searching for a new go-to recipe I tried yet another recipe from Averie Cooks for Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip cookies.  Pat and I both loved these cookies!  They used coconut oil instead of butter and also have shredded coconut in them.  Pat has become a fan of coconut, which is why I decided I would try out that recipe.  However, we both that they were a good cookie, but really should be Oatmeal Coconut Raisin cookies.  Of course, I tested that out. This time, we thought the cookie was good, but that my go-to Oatmeal Raisin cookie was better.

That being said...

Here is my adapted recipe for "Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies" from AverieCooks.

Ingredients:
1 large egg
1/2 C unsalted butter
1/2 C light brown sugar
1/4 C granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp of salt*
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats (I used quick cook)*
3/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp of salt*
3/4 C semi-sweet chocolate chips*

Begin by creaming the butter and sugars.  Next, mix in the egg and vanilla.  While the mixer is on a low speed, add the baking soda, salt, and flour.  Stir until well combined.  Then add in the oatmeal.  Finally, mix in the chocolate chips.

Form large balls of dough and flatten slightly.  Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes and enjoy!


My adaptions:
As I mentioned, I wanted these to be chocolate chip cookies, not chocolate chip cookies that you wished were oatmeal raisin (because that should never happen!).   
  • The original recipe called for 1/2 tsp to a whole tsp of cinnamon which I omitted.  
  • Once again, I put in my usual amount of 1 tsp. salt, where AverieCooks suggested a pinch.  
  • The original also called for either raisins or nuts, and I omitted because I didn't want the cookie to be a trail mix cookie; I wanted a chocolate chip one.
  • AverieCooks also said not to use quick cook oats, but I always use them when I bake, so I figured I should with this recipe too.
  • I also cut back on the chocolate chips.  I know you're probably surprised!  But this recipe is about half of what my normal recipe is, but the recipe was for the same amount of chocolate chips.
  • This dough also required refrigeration. I skipped that step because frankly, I didn't see the point.  This is quite similar to my oatmeal raisins and that doesn't get refrigerated.  Also, with all of the adaptions I made, it was quite similar to my current go-to recipe and that also does not get refrigerated.
Thoughts?
I thought the cookies were great! They were the most soft cookies I have made in the last 3 attempts.  I made them four days ago and they are still soft.  Even with my adaptions because of the amount of oatmeal, Pat thought that they should have been oatmeal raisin cookies.  He did love the cookie dough though- thought it tasted like my regular dough!  I have one more recipe to try that a friend sent my way, but then I think I am going to tweak my current go-to and share the results- it's similar to this adapted recipe.  

Happy baking!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! There was a typo. Anyways...
      I thought these were amazing. They were delicious and the oatmeal gave it substance and an excuse to call them healthy. They won me over!

      Delete
  2. I was a fan of them too, Sarah! Glad you enjoyed them as well!

    ReplyDelete