Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Top Ten Post #5: Orange Peel Shrimp

So you have heard before that Wednesday night is shrimp night.  I've been feeling in a rut lately and not knowing what to make.  Thankfully Pat suggested this, which has been one of our favorites since we first made it!  Whenever we go to P.F. Chang's I have to have the Orange Peel Shrimp.  Everything that I have ever eaten there has been great, but nothing will beat the Orange Peel Shrimp. So you can image my delight (about 2 years ago) when I came across a Pin for Orange Peel Shrimp.  The pin I found came from EatLiveRun blog.  However, the recipe comes from PBS.

This recipe results in crispy, flavorful shrimp.  We do always serve the Orange Peel Shrimp with brown rice and another favorite green, edamame (Yes, Pat eats a few green things now!).

I know I say you have to make each recipe I blog about, but really...I wouldn't waste your time reading the post if the results weren't well worth it.  When your closest P.F. Chang's is an hour away, you'll be really glad you have this recipe in your inventory!

We just cut the sauce recipe in half from the original since it's just for two and use half a pound of shrimp.

Here's our ratio for the recipe, but the recipe comes from PBS.

Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb. of shrimp, peeled and deveined
-2 cloves of garlic
-4 scallions (I cut the white parts to use too)
-1 orange (zest and juice)
-3 Tbsp. orange marmalade (I do use the reduced sugar)
-1/4 C. of soy sauce
-1/4 tsp. of crushed red peppers
-1/8 C. of cornstarch
-2 Tbsp. of canola oil, divided


Brown rice and Edamame for sides

Start by adding 1 Tbsp. of oil over medium high heat.  Once heated, add the garlic, scallions, and orange zest.  Then add the juice from the orange, orange marmalade, soy sauce, and crushed red peppers.  Bring it to a boil and maintain the boil for about 5 minutes so the sauce thickens.

Meanwhile, get the salted water boiling for rice and stick your edamame in the microwave per bag instructions.





Peel your shrimp and pat it dry.  Then lightly coat the shrimp in the cornstarch.  Add the remaining oil to another pan (only bummer about this recipe is the amount of pans it requires).   Once heated, add your shrimp.  After about 2 minutes, it's ready to flip.  When it is cooked through, remove the shrimp from the pan and mix it into the sauce.

Serve and enjoy!



My chef notes:
1.  I probably do a tablespoon and a half of minced garlic.
2.  I also cut the white parts of the scallions to use, too.
3.  For the marmalade, I used the kind with reduced sugar.
4.  The original recipe calls for optional Thai chili peppers, we do not add those, so we keep with the original 1/4 tsp. of crused red peppers.




I definitely use more soy sauce than the average person....this is not the only jug we've been through this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment