Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Taste of Thai: Mango with Sticky Rice

"Oh, boy!" were the words that came out of Pat's mouth when he took his first bite.  Two of our friends, Katie and Josh were the first to enlighten us on Mango with Sticky Rice.  The first time we had it was in Baltimore.  Whenever we go out for Thai food, we have to get Mango with Sticky Rice.

The other day on Pinterest, I came across a pin for Mango with Sticky Rice.  The thought had never occurred to me that I could make it.  After reading the blog I knew I could do it and guess what?  So can you!

I did not at all follow the pin I had found.  You'll see recipes that call for sticky or sweet rice; you'll find this at the grocery store as Jasmine rice.  Sometimes it's even marked as Thai rice.

My recipe came from Asian Gourmet's bag of sticky rice.  However, I didn't buy that brand of rice because it was more than double the price of other brands.  I bought Goya's.

I am not sure how much rice Asian Gourmet's recipe called for or what the serving size was.  I did now that I didn't need to make the full recipe shown so I halved it.  Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1/2 C. jasmine rice
1 C. water
1/2 can of coconut milk
1/3 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
1 ripe mango

I boiled the water, then added the rice.  I let it simmer for 15 minutes.  Then stand for 5.  (This was according to the directions on the GOYA bag of rice).

While the rice was standing, I boiled 1/2 can of coconut milk, the sugar, and the salt.  I allowed it to boil for 3 minutes.  Then I poured the mixture into the rice.  It sat for 30 minutes to absorb the coconut mixture.

I divided the rice between two plates (the servings were HUGE).  Next, I sprinkled sesame seeds on top and placed the sliced mango on the side.

It's not a fancy dessert, but oh boy is it AMAZING.  Go to the store and pick up the ingredients now, I promise you won't be disappointed!

 Well, Amber you might be since you're allergic to mango...sorry!


I think this amount would EASILY serve 4 people.  Next time, I think I will halve it again and next time will be soon since I have another half of a mango and half a can of coconut milk...Oh, darn!

2 comments: